Thursday, July 9, 2009

Skruben?

So, you may be wondering what Skruben is. When I was growing up on our ranch in northern Idaho, my family often referred to a fabled creature named Skruben who was blamed for anything bad or unexplained that happened. I'm not sure what the origin of the word is, I assume it's probably Norwegian, or some variation. It probably was passed down from my great grandparents Theo & Gina. I suppose we all had a different idea about what Skruben looked like. In my mind, it was always a half man-half coyote type creature, with a little bit of Loki (Norse myth) thrown in for good measure. If something was broken or went missing, Skruben was evoked. Good times...and a good name for a random blog, I think.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

In recent years, I've thought Skruben looks exactly like a mountain beaver, scurrying away with a bundle of freshly harvested Tulameen shoots!