Monday, September 27, 2010

Salmon Days



Autumn is truly in the air! This weekend is the annual Issaquah Salmon Days festival which celebrates "the annual return of salmon to our lakes, streams and historic downtown hatchery."

Did you know that there are seven indigenous salmon and trout from the genus Oncorhynchus in Washington and Oregon? They are chinook, coho, chum, sockeye, and pink salmon, and steelhead and cutthroat trout. Salmon are vital in the transport of energy and nutrients between the ocean, estuaries, and freshwater environments. As a seasonal resource, salmon indirectly affect the entire food web. They are super important and so have an entire festival dedicated to their return!!

The celebration includes all sorts of salmon education opportunities as well as a golf tournament, fun run, parade, orienteering event, international food booths, children's "field of fun" and a HUGE craft fair. Festival volunteers are called "Ohfishals" and the entire event is free thanks to "Spawnsors". Tee hee. I will be particiapting this year as a vendor at booth #65. So plunge into the event and soak in the sights and sounds of the season!

photo credit: Issaquah Chamber of Commerce

4 comments:

Jennifer Young said...

Look foward to seeing some photos of your stand at the craft fair? Hope you have a great time and sell lots. Thank you for your advice on Essential Oils staying in soaps... I will let you know how it goes. Currently re-vamping my curing process... xo Jen

ASBloom said...

Thanks Jen! I HAVE to remember to take my camera...I'm so bad about that sometimes. Good luck on your soap curing adventure. I look forward to hearing how it's going!

Unknown said...

Very cool -- will keep an eye out for you that weekend! I love going to Salmon Days and hope to bring my fuzzy friend Indy, who couldn't stop sniffing the bag full of lovely soaps I bought the last time! By the way, thanks for the sweet blog comment - I left some dress ideas as a response on my post, as I didn't want to clutter up your blog with a bunch of links!

Marja/Glass Elements said...

See you there! :)